Sunday, April 27, 2014

The "Yuck!" Side of Italian Food

Sufrite: Looks good but, "Yuck!"
For the most part, Italian food is the most deliciously prepared food on the planet. Nothing else compares, leastwise in my opinion. But there are a few dishes I'll pass on. Actually, there's a few dishes that are decidedly on the "Yuck!" side.

It pains me to write about Italian dishes that are on the "Yuck!" side of Italian food. Worse yet, my beloved grandmother made some of them. She not only made them, she made them rather regularly. So today, I'll write about a few of her "Yuck!" dishes that stand out in my memory.

Sufrite is pronounced "soo-freet."  You kind of roll the "r" when you say it. Sufrite is something my grandmother made often for my Dad and my Dad just loved it. To me, sufrite rates high on the "Yuck!" list. By the way, there's another Italian dish called sofrito and sufrite is not sofrito. I'm not confusing the two if you thought I might be doing that.

Sufrite is made with intestinal organs like an animal's heart and spleen, but the main ingredient was lungs. Lungs! Lungs, by the way, are no longer available for human consumption. The USDA banned them some years ago. (Which is okay by me!)  They banned them because of air pollution. You worry about pollution in the air you breathe? If so, and you should, you probably don't want to eat lungs because they're filled with the crap that's the pollution in air pollution.

The way sufrite is made is fairly simple: You sauté the lungs and other internal organs with garlic and peppers, add Italian spices and some tomato sauce, simmer for a while, quite a while, and serve.

Yuck!

My Dad gobbled it down like there was no tomorrow. He loved it! I'd watch him eat sufrite and feel nauseous. Sufrite might look good and, who knows, it might even taste okay (I wouldn't know, I never had the stones to try it) but if you know what it's made from, you might also have it on your personal "Yuck!" list like I always have. Sufrite probably belongs on that TV show -- I forget what it's called -- with the cook who goes around the world and eats disgusting stuff like bugs and worse.

The other "Yuck!" food I'll mention today is goat brains or sheep brains. Nuh uh! Not for me! No thank you. I'll pass. You start eating a goat's brains and the next thing you know, you have an urge to start running at and butting things with your head.

When I was a kid, I used to stay at my grandparent's home for a few weeks or so each summer. My grandmother would prepare goat or sheep brains for my grandfather's breakfast. Breakfast! She scrambled eggs in with the goat or sheep brains and then, when it was all cooked up in the pan, she'd put it back in a goat's or sheep's half-skull. That's right, scrambled eggs and goat brains on the half-skull!  First thing in the morning! Again, it might taste okay, I have no clue, but I seriously felt sick while watching my grandfather fork it out of the skull and wolf it down with his morning coffee.

In the awesome Viet Nam War movie, "Apocalypse Now!" directed by the awesome Italian-American film-maker, Francis Ford Copolla, Robert Duvall's character, Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore, said he loved the smell of napalm in the morning, but I can't say the same for the smell goat brains and eggs in the morning.

Yuck!

16 comments:

  1. This cracked me up! My mother and grandmother both made sufrite. Yuck is right. They also made something equally disgusting. Each year when they got together to "kill the pig," they used the blood to make blood sausage. Of course, they used the intestines for the casing. I think the blood was cooked and rice was added to it along with...are you ready for this...chocolate! Yikes! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toni: When they killed the pig each year at my grandparent's home, they let the blood flow into a big pan and they made some kind of blood pudding-like stuff that people dipped pieces of bread into and ate. YUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And meanwhile, I LOVED Sufrite! My mom made it for me all the time. These were the days when you knew your butcher by name. (Ours was Jerry.) It eventually became forbidden to sell the meat but since the butcher knew my mother, we could still get it. The only way to get it now is to know someone with a cow they plan to slaughter and implore they share it with you! #notyuck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, as for lamb brains...LOVE! I've only had them a few times but they were great. Such a delicacy! I don't limit myself to Italian delicacies - I also love Chinese dim sum and they serve tripe as well as Mexican Menudo (also tripe).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had friends who used deer lungs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is my understanding the USDA ban on lungs went into effect in 1971 allegefly because of the risk that gastrointestinal fluid might leak into them during the slaughtering process, raising the likelihood of food-borne illness.

    Federal Register Volume 36 Number 117 Pages 11627-11704

    § 310.16 Disposition of lungs. (a) Livestock lungs shall not be saved for use as human food. (b) Lungs found to be affected with disease or pathology and lungs found to be adulterated with chemical or biological residue shall be condemned and identified as ‘‘U.S. Inspected and Condemned.’’ Condemned lungs may not be saved for pet food or other nonhuman food purposes. They shall be maintained under inspectional control and disposed of in accordance with §§314.1 and 314.3 of this subchapter. (c) Lungs not condemned under paragraph (b) of this section may be used in the preparation of pet food or for other nonhuman food purposes at the official establishment, provided they are handled in the manner prescribed in §318.12 of this subchapter, or they may be distributed from the establishment in commerce, or otherwise, in accordance with the conditions prescribed in §325.8 of this subchapter for nonhuman food purposes or they may be so distributed to pharmaceutical manufacturers for pharmaceutical use in accordance with §§314.9 and 325.19(b) of this subchapter, if they are labeled as ‘‘Inedible [SPECIES] Lungs—for Pharmaceutical Use Only.’’ Otherwise, they shall be disposed of at the official establishment, in accordance with §§314.1 and 314.3 of this subchapter. [36 FR 11639, June 17, 1971]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness my mother who was NOT Italian had NO Clue how to cook Italian food. My father didn’t know anything about Italian food either. My people were from Great Britain so I am of English dissent. However my favorite food is Italian. I love Italian food so much I learned how to cook it, well. When my husband and I go out for dinner it’s always doing Italian restaurant. He gets so sick of Italian food and he’s Italian. He can however pretty easily talked me into New England seafood.

      Delete
    2. Thank Goodness I was born from an Italian Mother and from Tuscany. I absolutely loved sufrite with a warm piece from a loaf of bread and a glass of Chianti, dam. that was a lunch. Of course, you can't get or make it anymore. They use Tripe today and call it the same thing but it's not even close. Now I admit, I was at least 13-14 before I truly loved it and my mother was wise enough that when asked "what's in it Ma?" She would answer, If you really want to know, make it yourself. Miss you Momma..

      Delete
  7. So glad I found this. My grandfather was from Abruzzo Italy and made sufrite with chicken hearts and gizzards. I was the only of the 9 grandkids who would eat it. So everytime he came to visit he brought me sufrite. It was our thing. Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is no reason for you to ever pay full price for Mexican food again, so start shopping around now for some really great bargains! Author is an expert of pizza hut menu prices, go here for more interesting information.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How is it yuck if you never try it though? I Didn't think I would like it either, but I went to a game dinner and ended up loving it. Gotta try it before you can say it sucks, or yucks I guess. Gotta try it once before you knock it IMO

    ReplyDelete
  10. The lungs are taboo because of livestock farmers. The lungs for consumption were only supposed to come from days old calves who never ate grass and had no flukes in their lungs.
    The lungs became available when the calves were slaughtered for veal...and only then. Greedy butchers figured they could start selling mature animal's lungs and make a buck off something that should have been destroyed. The government found a way to stop this unsafe practice. A young calf hasn't breathed more than a few days or weeks...air pollution...right!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep this in mind to all those who say Yuck-my Sicilian mom always told me they ate things because that is all they had since they had large families and little money-especially during the depression! I loved sufrite with a spicy marinara on a hard roll

    ReplyDelete