Sunday, May 25, 2014

Italian-American Heroes!

My uncle, Santillo, during WW2
During WW2, one-half-million Italian-Americans served in the various branches of the U.S. military.  Some say the number was much higher-- up to 1.5 million. My Dad and my uncle (his brother) were amongst them.  This, in spite of the fact that, along with Germany and Japan, America was at war with Italy.

Most concerns regarding the loyalties of Italian-Americans were quickly dispelled by the incredible response from those who volunteered to join and fight. My guess is the vast majority of Italian-Americans who served in WW2 were first-generation Italian-Americans.  As such, many of them might end up fighting relatives.

In spite of this incredible display of loyalty, hundreds of Italian-Americans were viewed as a potential threats and were interned in detention camps. As many as 600,000 others who had not become citizens were required to carry identity cards identifying them as a "resident alien". Thousands more who resided on the West Coast of the US were required to move inland, often losing their homes and businesses in the process. 

My Dad, Luigi, during WW2
My Dad, Luigi, served in the US Army in Europe from D-Day to the occupation of Germany. (He later became a USMC combat veteran of Korea.) His brother, Santillo, also served in the Army, but he fought in North Africa and through the campaigns in Sicily and Italy. Like my father, my uncle was also an infantryman. He was also utilized as an Italian/English interpreter.

Thankfully, neither my father nor my uncle paid the ultimate price while serving, but they were ready and willing to do so just as so many other Italian-Americans were.  

Since WW2 (and including that war) 24 brave Italian-American servicemen have been awarded the Medal of Honor.

On this Memorial Day, we honor all those who sacrificed their lives fighting for this country. I don't know how many Italian-Americans are amongst them, i.e., those who paid the ultimate price, but there's no doubt many of them did.

No comments:

Post a Comment